1. EHWA championed the campaign for the 2010 Kentucky General Assembly to approve House Bill
398 bill in establishing the Kentucky Equine Health & Welfare Council. It is the first in the
country to focus solely on efforts to improve the status of the equine via state and legislative
2. EHWA, as a new advocacy for horses and holding a seat on the Council, continues to pursue
meaningful positive change by connecting the private sector with the state appointed Council.
3. EHWA has established suggested guidelines for voluntary accreditation of rescue and retirement
operations, followed by voluntary accreditation of the operations personnel, thus helping
ensure donations to those operations have transparent and legitimate use.
4. EHWA has suggested guidelines for Re-feeding Malnourished Horses.
5. KY Horse Council Vitals Program supported by EHWA.
The EHWA is positioned to provide expertise, in cooperation with other organizations, in developing
strategic plans for state regulatory oversight and improvement of existing conditions and shortfalls.